Dear valued patient: In an effort to support national efforts to fight the COVID- 19 pandemic, our practice has taken the following steps to help assure your health and well-being and that of our community:
- We have followed directives from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Ohio Department of Health, and the Ohio State Dental Board as a way to limit patient and staff exposure to this virus.
- Beginning March 17, 2020, patients were only seen for urgent and emergency dental needs.
- On April 27, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine announced that dental offices could reopen for non-urgent care beginning May 1, 2020. We immediately began planning our return to normal business hours.
- On May 11, 2020, following an eight week shutdown, we reopened for "normal" business hours. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) has been very difficult to locate and obtain, and as such, certain aerosol-producing procedures will only be provided when we have the appropriate PPE in stock.
We are trying to contact all of our patients who had their appointments cancelled during the shutdown. This has been very difficult due to the volume of incoming calls we have had from patients at the same time. Please call us right away if you have a dental emergency or need immediate care.
Many of our patients have expressed concern about how their health will be protected if they are to be seen in our office. In addition to Universal Precautions that have been in place for many years, the following measures are being implemented to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 infection:
- Staff temperatures are taken at the beginning of each day to confirm they are less than 100.4F. If a staff member is found to be COVID-19 positive, the office will follow the Ohio Department of Health protocol.
- Patient's are pre-screened for COVID-19 symptoms over the telephone.
- All patients must come to their appointment alone except when necessary, such as for interpreters and guardians of minors.
- Patients should wait in their car when they arrive and call the office. A team member will let the patient know when to enter the office.
- Each patient's temperature is taken on arrival at the office and the patient will be screened for COVID-19 symptoms.
- Appropriate PPE is in place for all procedures.
- A pre-procedure mouth rinse will be used prior to all procedures.
- Air purifiers are running in all operatories.
- All common areas are disinfected throughout the day in addition to the operatories in accordance with the ADA guidelines.
- A sneeze guard has been installed at the front desk
The safety and well-being of our patients and staff continues to be our primary concern. Any patient with known risk factors or symptoms for COVID-19 will be asked to contact their physician immediately and will be rescheduled. We will continue to monitor the status of COVID-19 nationally and within our community and keep you up-to-date regarding our plans for business in the future. We apologize for any inconvenience, but this is still a very fluid and unprecedented situation that is out of our control.
STAY WELL AND STAY SAFE.
Joseph A Mika, DDS